Know Your Patient process is not only a requirement but also an obligation which makes it mandatory for the healthcare sector to incorporate digital solutions.
Pertaining to the digital transformation, industries of all kinds are undergoing modification. Similarly, the healthcare sector is also in line to adopt digital methods to firstly facilitate genuine patients and secondly verify their identities. But the question remains stagnant how can medical facilities or healthcare centers ensure that they are assisting legit patients. This is why the healthcare industry is the most prone to fraudulent identities and medical histories breaches.
The healthcare industry stored information like patients’ personal information, medical histories, treatment types, transactions, and insurance details. This makes it clear why criminals are the most attracted to the healthcare sector. Therefore, the industry needs robust digital Know Your Patient (KYP) solutions. This way they can prevent illegitimate access to information and availing of medical benefits. For making this a reality. Also, it can deliver required treatments to patients without having to verify their identities physically.
Identifying Patient process – Steps and Requirements
The patient identity verification process provides seamless accuracy and is less time-consuming. And to authentically verify patients’ identities, the system asks for several details and documents to run verification scans. In some cases, the healthcare centers ask for case histories alongside identity proof. This is so to ensure that the service provider is targeting the right patients and assistance is not manipulated by an imposter. For incorporating digital ways of verification healthcare providers employ services that involve various steps:
- In the first step, patients are asked to fill in their personal information that including date of birth, full name, and proof of address.
- After submission, patients are asked to provide genuine govt-issued identity documents that are not older than three months. These serve as the supporting evidence, for instance, ID cards, green cards, passports, and driver’s licenses for identity proof. And utility bills, rental agreements, ownership agreements, and insurance details for proof of address.
- After scanning and uploading are complete, patients are asked to upload a real-time video or selfie for liveness detection.
- Moving on, in this step the AI-powered services extract required details by employing OCR technology. Also, it creates a face map for facial recognition and cross-checks it with the documents.
- The system then alongside authenticates documents by scanning them for any tampering or fraudulent changes.
- Lastly, the digital services conduct ID verification for pharmacies and complete identity verification, fetch results, and displays them in front of the end-users.
With advancements and health-realted concerns, the healthcare sector is also trying to make verification seamless and digital. This is so to ensure legit patient targeting, authentic verification, and fraud prevention. Moreover, digital services provide accuracy, are cost-effective, and take less time. It has several use cases among which the note-worthy ones are enlisted below:
Alongside other healthcare providers and affiliates, pharmacies are also adopting digital methods. For instance, online prescribing and purchasing of medicines. Doctors are also assisting patients online as visiting facilities physically sometimes can raise health concerns. All these transformations have eased the processes and prescribing, on the contrary, this has exposed patients to various risks. This includes prescription fraud, identity theft, and financial exploitation.
Therefore, pharmacies as well as other medical institutes need encrypted and reliable services to carry out patients verification. Also, restrict minors from getting their hands on age-restricted drugs and supplements. This way healthcare sector can ensure regulatory adherence and minimize the risks of hefty fines.
As per the guidelines of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), industries are mandated to abide by some standards. These include not just identifying patients but also keeping their data secure and away from breaches. Hence, healthcare institutions can not leave compliance unattended. Moreover, they can use digital methods to keep the information secure and prevent it from getting manipulated. This information includes transactions, medical case histories, identity, and treatment details. Furthermore, healthcare providers can monitor and update patients’ data to keep track of their patients. Furthermore, non-compliance can lead to hefty fines and privacy violations.
Know Your Patient (KYP) verification is changing how the healthcare sector was working before. It is mandatory for pharmacies, healthcare centers, service providers, and other affiliates. This is because criminals are readily taking advantage of mistyped information and other loopholes for data overtake. To combat such menaces, central regulatory authorities have mandated the healthcare industry to abide by verification protocols.